Sunday, December 14, 2008

What makes a shot stand out?

Right now I'm finishing up my latest animation. And realized it doesn't stick out as much as I want to.

Then it got me thinking. What makes an animation stand out? How do you make it stick out of the crowd?

Is it the extreme timing between poses? How much personality the character have? Because cartoony timing makes thing pop out more right?

But what about subtle animation?

What I think is, to make an animation stick out is, good acting. The character needs to have a personality. I realized in my animation. There isn't much of that. Not good acting.

My next animation I will really have to push what I can do. Learn more about acting. Come up with more ideas.

I am still debating between a dialogue shot or just, a simple one with body language. I'll see what comes up and inspires me.

But when I see an animation, the thing that I realize first is the personality. Man I need to get that!

My characters feel dead to me, how do I change that? Hmmm. We'll see. I think I have to get in the characters mind even more.

man this is sooo awesome! haha

4 comments:

Nate Lane said...

I've lately been thinking a lot about the same thing. Then I thought about Harry Potter of all things O_o. The characters have limits, and can't just do whatever they want. They have their weaknesses. I think that this can put put into our characters as well. We need to brainstorm not only what they can and can't do, but what they would, and wouldn't do. Everybody reacts to certain things differently, so I think we have to really get into our characters minds, and figure out who they are and what they would do. Call me crazy, but I think it's a characters limits that makes them stand out.

Nate Lane said...

Haha yeah man I actually despise facebook, and have resisted making one until this competition about 4 weeks ago.

Anyhow by characters limits I mean their personality's limits. If my characters personality was pretty mellow I think that there's an entire set of mellow acting choices that would fit him. You wouldn't find him doing broad HUGE exaggerated poses. Like character walks for example. Every person walks a different walk that shows some sort of trait of their personality (I know you probably know this). To me this is a "limitation". Their personality limits the acting choices we use on them.

I like to think of it as an entire tree where every single branch is a personality (mellow/high voltage/in between the two... etc.), and every leaf on that branch (for example the mellow branch) represent the entire spectrum of emotions for that character. ONLY the mellow character has these acting choices. The mellow dude is limited to them (yes he can get angry, but it's is own style of angry). The crazy high voltage man has is own spectrum of emotions as well. And when he gets angry it's in his own way. No two characters should share the same leaves. WOW this sounds crazy and probably doesn't make sense :D

Heh sorry for thinking out loud on your blog... Anyhow I'm probably wrong about this, but I like to think that this works :). I usually come up with crazy theories that die weeks later :P

Keep workin man! I've seen your stuff over at the 11sc, it's lookin gnarly. I don't think I've posted lately though. I'm off track for school so I will definitely be stopping by more often!

Nate Lane said...

AM? nah man I wish. That seems like the only option for me right now though. Paying for art school is out of the question. If I do it will be in at least 2 years.

Unknown said...

hiiii!!!!! nice to meet you i m Luca!!!!
I love your last animation about the bazooka;)!!! haha really good good job!!
It would be really good maybe make somehting together;)!!!
Ok let me know and again congratulations!!