Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Experimenting with second pass of inbetweening

So I am still animating the super hero, but this time its more blocked in. I see a pose from one point to another. Sure I could easily just add a pose inbetween it to make it smoother, but it would be a static pose. Like from point A to point B.

Right now I'm experimenting on how to get to point B in a more different way. Because if i want to get to one point to another, why do inbetweens? Because the computer can do that. So I tried to make it more cartoony, and added stuff inbetween "normal actions"

Like my guy wants to press down on a button. Instead of him just lifting his hand and pressing the button. What I did was i made his whole body go with it. But not only that. I make his body dip down, with his arm following, and kinda does a swirly thing then he is in the pose to anticipate the pressing of the button. then walla he presses the button.

Try it sometimes! It is fun! Makes the animation more interesting! Well I think it does anyways haha.

But I need to make sure not to over do it. So I'm just applying to the actions and the person personality.

And if you look at horton hear's a who...They do that a lot! Instead of like racing to get somewhere in a straight line. The animators make them swirl!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

big really;)!!! sorry the late but i was not at home in these days...
well it s a little bit long to say here:) maybe have you an mail address or msn??XD

Ben said...

Hey I've been going through the same thing recently where I've tried to put so much more into blocking. My work never really looked like anything before but this approach does work. Even though i still think I could put more details in to the blocking.

I've got one question on your approach though, this is something I've never really known how to handle.

Do you switch all your controls from stepped to linear and go through smoothing the curves on everything. Or do you switch to spline and bypass Linear??
Might sound like a dumb question but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Ben

Ben said...

Hi thanks for your reply, I've been dabbling with animation for about 6 years with gaps inbetween. But now I'm actually trying to understand it some more. I hit stumbling blocks with stuff and I never know of the best way to tackle them my main one on this current animation is I can't do anything with the arms in the graph editor because of the dreaded gimbal lock. Having looked at your anims you don't seem to have much of a problem with your jump from blocked to splined. It causes me a mental meltdown at the minute as i can't check my curves. Just curious as to how you approach this. I do apologize for putting this on your blog but I couldn't find your email.